Last updated: June 11th, 2021
About Dr. Vukich
John Vukich, M.D., specializes in presbyopia correction, refractive cataract surgery and the use of implantable collamer lenses (ICL). Doctor Vukich is a Wisconsin native and the founding member of Summit Eye Care with offices in Wauwatosa and Menomonee Falls, Wisconsin. He attended Emory University and was granted early admission to Emory Medical School in Atlanta, Georgia, graduating with highest honors. Dr. Vukich is certified by the American Board of Ophthalmology.
Dr. Vukich completed his surgical residency in ophthalmology at the University of Illinois Eye and Ear Infirmary in Chicago. He is an active teacher of surgical techniques and has taught, lectured to, and certified eye surgeons on five different continents.
John Vukich, M.D. has remained at the forefront of innovation in eye care. He was a principal investigator in the original US clinical trials for the implantable collamer lens (ICL) and has presented the data to the FDA for panel approval for both the implantable contact lens and AcuFocus presbyopia implant. Dr. Vukich is an active researcher having participated in more than 20 clinical trials and he has served as the U.S. medical monitor for several new technologies.
His excellence and skill have been recognized with numerous awards including the prestigious Dulaney named lecture given at the American European Congress of Ophthalmic Surgery. Dr. Vukich has authored many articles and book chapters on cataract and refractive surgery. He has served on several Editorial Boards of both professional and trade publications including the Journal of Refractive Surgery and Cataract and Refractive Surgery Today. He has also served as a judge at the American Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgery Film Festival.
Dr. Vukich is well known regionally, nationally, and internationally as a leader, innovator, and educator in the field of cataract and refractive surgery.
Dr. Vukich is the Founder and Medical Director of Summit Eye Care. He is a skilled ophthalmic surgeon, and prides himself in connecting with his patients and helping them optimize their vision potential.
I have known and worked with Dr John Vukich for over 10 years on some of most demanding clinical research projects in the world of ophthalmology. I know him to be one of the best eye surgeons in the world. His peers have voted Dr. Vukich into the most prestigious cataract surgery societies in the world based on his stellar performance over many years. He will take care of you.– Kevin L. Waltz, OD, MD
Education and Training
- Medical Degree: Emory University
- Ophthalmology Residency: University of Illinois Eye and Ear Infirmary
- Ophthalmology Internship: St Luke’s Medical Center, Milwaukee
- Fellow of the American Academy of Ophthalmology
- Founding Member and Past President of American European Congress of Ophthalmic Surgery
- Member of American Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgery
- Member of European Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgery
- Member of the International Intraocular Implant Club
Research, Appearances, and Awards
- Selected by peers for several “Best Doctors” and “Best Doctors in America” awards.
- Received the Senior Honor Award of the American Academy of Ophthalmology
- Named a Leading Ophthalmologist in America by Becker’s ASC Review
- Featured in many news segments, including ABC and PBS
- Consulted for quotes from reputable news sources, including the Wall Street Journal and the New York Times
- Served as lead investigator and presented the data to the FDA for panel approval for the implantable collamer lens, AcuFocus corneal inlay and VisuMax SMILE refractive laser.
- U.S. medical monitor for several new technologies including the Implantable Collamer Lens, Avedro corneal cross linking and AcuFocus small aperture implants.
- Has served on the governance committee and as chair of the refractive surgery committee of ASCRS (American Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgery)
- Recipient of several “Best Speaker” awards
American Society of Cataract & Refractive Surgery – 2021
- Clinical Performance of New Monofocal Intraocular Lens with Enhanced Refractive Properties for Expanded Range of Vision
Kevin L. Waltz, MD, OD; Gabriel Quesada, MD; Rodrigo A. Quesada, MD; John A. Vukich, MD
- Liric II – Laser Induced Refractive Change to Treat Presbyopia
Jeffery J. Machat, FRCSC; Scott M. MacRae, MD, ABO; John A. Vukich, MD; Len Zheleznyak, PhD; Gabriel Quesada, MD; Rodrigo A. Quesada, MD; Kevin L. Waltz, MD, OD
- Optimization of Femtosecond Laser and Phacoemulsification Parameters with Automated Cataract Density Grading
Gabriel Quesada, MD; John A. Vukich, MD; Kevin L. Waltz, MD, OD; Rodrigo A. Quesada, MD
- Reproducibility of Rotational Stability of a Toric Intraocular Lens with Modified Haptics
John A. Vukich, MD; Srividhya Vilupuru, OD, PhD; Priya Janakiraman, OD, PhD; Wuchen Zhao, MS
- Long Term Stability and Performance of the IC-8 IOL
Gabriel Quesada, MD; Rodrigo A. Quesada, MD; Kevin L. Waltz, MD, OD; John A. Vukich, MD
- Elevating Great: Postoperative IOL Enhancements
John A. Vukich, MD